Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Back Then...

The past can either haunt you, or teach you. It is funny how I look back and see how I chased dreams, drifted away from family, friends, and God. But one thing I remember I was not going to lose sight on the life I had ahead of me. I wanted to see my family and I happy. I wanted to see myself finish college. I wanted to see my wife, kids, travel to places, serve people, and make my family proud. But much of the past has made me whom I am today believe it or not.

I can still remember the smell of grease on my hands, the bike tire/rim, the tall green grass by the railroad where we use to play. The endless nights of hide and seek and cops and robbers. The hot sumer nights that we stayed outside and slept outside because out parents wouldn't turn on the air conditioner (they wanted to save money). I can still remember the days where I use to play house with my neighbor's kids.

The time where I had friends who'll come over with their Nintendo game console and play it at my house. I remember the time where the boys and I made our very own authentic cut out from the tree slingshots. We went hunting crazy around the neighborhood and got chased by a black guy. We shot his car by accident.

I remember the time where I raced by best buddy around the block and flew off my bike and scrapped my left chest. I remember all the fights, the shootings, the robberies, the burglaries, the car theft, and the crying in the neighborhood. But I do remember the happy faces, the wrinkle old smiling faces in the morning. The cry of a child that needs a mother's presence at dawn. The laughter and friendship that was made. This was my childhood days.

Middle school and High school came like a heartbeat. All of a sudden I was messed up and pursuing foolish things in life. I was already hanging out with the wrong crowd. Or was the people outside of our group the outsiders and wrong about us?!

Growing up I did not have much in my family. Our family did not have the latest gadgets. My parents were good at making and finding use items for us that we were happy for what they got us. I remember my dad buying a used bike for my younger brother, then I helped him fix his bike and mine. Spring cleaning season was like Christmas for me. I remember my buddies and I would go out on Friday evenings and hunt for bike parts.

One week ago I was in a car accident. Sadly to say, it was a hit and run. The guy ran a red light while turning. I did my best to avoid him and brake. My beautiful truck was taken away from me right then. I only have liability Insurance for my truck. Long story short: the insurance company I have does not cover my whole car. I knew that I was going to lose my truck, but for some reason I had this hope in me that everything was going to be okay. That I might be able to fix it and ride it again in no time. Although it will take me a long time and money.

I've been given lots of things in life. The first car I had was free and same thing for the truck. In life we might get things our way, but in reality it really isn't. We think that we are in control, but in the eyes of God we are not. Sometimes in life things are taken away from us unexpectedly. Just like how my truck was taken away from me, things in life are taken away from us.

But I thought about the people in the third world country and how they do not have the stuff that I have. The house that I live under, the cars that I drive, the food that I eat, the AC and Heat I get during the season, the job I have, and the God I believe in. Sighs...then why do I worry? Its probably because I have the car and use it frequently. Its probably because I am oblivious to these things in life that I take for granted. But above all, I give praise and glory to God for all the things in life that He has given me. I will cherish the time here, the possessions I have in life, and the people.

No comments: